Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year Motivations

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

God promises:
To listen whenever we care to engage Him in conversation
To work all things for good, regardless of our control attempts
To provide eternal rest through his son, Jesus

I have made promises before, I am not perfect at keeping them. As I have gotten older, I recognize what motivates me to keep my promises, and it is Love. Real love, not lust, not passion, not hey, I kind of like you, but sacrificing, I don’t want to change you Love. I am fortunate enough to have a huge variety of people in my life: Christian, Jewish, atheists, agnostics, some very religious, some anti religious. My faith is constantly tested, challenged, and heavily weighed in my own mind.
There are facets of modern Christianity that really make me angry, some I completely question, and some areas I totally fail in. I attempt to live a thoughtful, creative life consistent with the mind and life I have been graciously given. I fail even at this. I desire good, and believe good motivates most people. I am honestly surprised when ill intentions are revealed and even then I attempt to find some good in the bad choices.
I become overwhelmed with what people think of me, how they think of me, and why they think of me. Sometimes this motivates my behavior, and it is an honest yet ugly thing. But it is human.
My resolution this year is to be motivated by Love, not self.
God sets us up for this beautifully in Corinthians 13. I had lots of time to ruminate on these words when I worked for the archdiocese of Chicago and listened to the same homily week after week at wedding after wedding. Aha! It’s about God. And Perfect Love. And motivation by the standards of behaviors set up by the verses. It takes time and effort to explore relationships to the point of being able to apply the motivating behaviors of Love, and show others God’s love before your own. But first, the realization must set in that God loves you in this way, and that God does not ask you to change, His love just changes your perspective on all things. And you change. (this is not an overnight trip, BTW, God works in His own time. Sometimes, progress is slow)
I certainly don’t have perfect relationships, but I try to maintain honesty and integrity, and thoughtfulness. I want to live with Intrinsic Obligation: motivation based on what an individual thinks ought to be done. And here it is: Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Holly said...

What a lovely meditation to begin the new year with! Isn't it wonderful that so often love is exactly what is true, and lovely, and pure, and all those other things Paul lists?