Tuesday, January 6, 2009

HodgePodge

I had no real topic to discuss today, no sage insights to life, just a lot of laundry calling my name. "Jane- fold us so we can be worn again, thrown about, stained, washed, dried and back here to see you in 2 weeks!"

So the blog is a diversion, you see, and therefore, not planned or thought out.

Let's see:

I have been making lots of phone calls this week to ensure no homefront financial crisis occurs. I called the insurance folks to check our rates and be sure we were getting the best deal. I spoke with our mortgage guy to get started on a refi, rates are super low, you should check it out! And we are re-evaluating our budget, always a fun conversation.
The food is an area we spend a lot of money on. I read, hear and see a lot of things about cooking to save money, using coupons, making concessions to good food to save money. I just cannot do it. If we were eating crap all the time, maybe. We have cut McD's out of our diet, (almost) and are trying to cut on the junk. But I am not giving up dinners out with friends, a good bottle of wine, or Sam Adams. We are sacrificing something wonderful, I am sure, but what is really more fun than having someone else clean up the dinner dishes while you enjoy the last lime infused swash of Corona? Yes, I've added up the dollars, and it's appalling. We are thinking seriously about the time we spend eating out and have cut back significantly. Just not out.
I am packing more snacks to take along so I don't go for the easy out, and making sure the kids have plenty of fruits and veggies to pick from at home. We have to follow a pretty strict dietary and urinary schedule with the kids to keep them healthy.
So more news:
They both have Vesicourteal Reflux, and CB is having surgery next month to correct it. I am aprehensive about it. She's had surgery before to remove her tonsils and adenoids due to sleep apnea. We've been through it. I just hate to see her in pain. This will also require a change in habits for at least a couple of weeks during recovery. She will have to stay quiet, not run around. For her this will be torture by frustration. She thrives on being active, she expresses herself through being active. I am open to suggestions on how to divert her attention for a while...
Miss Cocopugs, on the other hand, only needs to be potty trained by May. Not a daunting task, but she is a bit stubborn. I missed the quiet window of just doing it without discussion. But with Cocopugs, everything is a discussion. A long drawn out discussion. Usually while sitting on said potty for at least 20 minutes. (definitely her fathers' child) We still have hope that she will grow out of her condition and not have to have surgery. We won't know for a couple of years, but she will be monitored closely for the time being.
It's all out of my hands at this point, and not worth worrying about the consequenses. I am attempting to cope.

No comments: