Thursday, September 22, 2011

Overwhelmed

This is just my first class in graduate school, and I find myself overwhelmed.
What does overwhelmed look like?


  • A cold.  A sore throat and a chest cough.  Tired and tired. 


  • Strange obsessive behaviors with Facebook.  Why am I checking it all the time?  Because I am on the computer writing all the time.  I might have to disable my account.  I look at FB as the computer version of the break room-  sometimes you go in there and someone has brought in donuts!  Hurray!  And sometimes you go in there to hide from doing any actual work.  Unfortunately I have been using it to hide.
  • An inability to keep up with my daily life.  I had a meeting last night and completely forgot to reschedule my studio time.  I was emailing parents at the last minute trying to reschedule for the weekend.  Only one kid fell through the cracks, but I strive to maintain consistency for lessons.  I have never forgotten to reschedule a night off in 12 years of teaching.    
  • An inability to keep up with home life.  I find myself on the computer so much that I am neglecting the kids, not cooking, laundry is piling up, and I am not respecting my self imposed boundaries of working only while the kids are asleep.  This is project week, so I should cut myself a little slack.   
This is a journey, not a sprint.  This is a journey, not a sprint.  This is a journey, not a sprint.  

On the upside, I really love the work.  I love writing, I love revising, and I love thinking.  
Ok.  It's just this week.  I can get through it.  

1 comment:

megs @ whadusay said...

You can do it!!!

A potential help with facebook, on Michael Hyatt's blog he mentioned a software he uses, maybe antisocial? not completely sure on the title... Anyway, you can have it block facebook or other sites until you reboot your computer.