Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Kindergarten Blues

I have mixed feelings about kindergarten.  
Ms Cocopugs is a sensitive child, a sweet child with a grand imagination.  She plays independently and creates worlds of her own.  She pretends to read really big books along with her big sister, and she does recite from memory lots of little books to N.  

CB had an annual Dr visit today and her return to school coincided with lunch.  Being the health wise mother that I am, I picked up McD's Happy Meals with fries & chocolate milk and had lunch with my best little girls.  
Lunch in elementary school is loud.  
Really really loud.
The principle is loud and extremely direct.  
Usually Ms Pugs is right in with the loud, happy and chatting, trying to open food, eat and socialize.  
Today she just wanted to talk to her mama and it was too loud.  
She cried.  I wanted to cry.  She begged me to take her home.  I so much wanted to.  She settled for the playground and N and I walked away.  






Am I doing the right thing?  Is this the environment for a sensitive child?  Can't I have her at home with me for one more year?  


3 comments:

Christina said...

I say give it a chance and see what happens. This is all new for her and it will cause her to grow as a person, there is a lot to be learned socially at school and dealing with the big world. I say if at the end of the 1st trimester she hasnt adjusted...re-evaluate then.

Growing pains are hard, even for the mama.

njscreenwriter said...

Aw! She just needs to make a friend or two in her class to help her thru the day. As soon as she has something to look forward to in going, she'll be happier. I hope!

Chelsey said...

It'll be alright. To be honest, she's very similar to me, and I've always had a hard time adjusting at first. She will get used to going away to all-day kindergarten, it just takes time. :)