Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Wednesday Hussle

Today started well enough: alarm, baby up, sisters up, all in mommy's bed to snuggle and doze, a nice way to start a gloomy day.  It could be the highlight of any day, but it really WAS the highlight of today.  Well, maybe the beef stroganoff, but we'll get there.
All I wanted was to follow my nice little schedule today.  Just stay on task, just have things follow one after another.   Remember my post from last weds?  Tick Tick Tick, jobs done.  Not today.
While I was dozing with darling children, Pat came in and told me some mumbo-jumbled words about water in the closet downstairs and maybe we should clean out the closet pretty soon.  And also to soak the meat in milk for beef stroganoff for supper.  Then he kissed us all and went on his way.
We had breakfast on time.  I took the beef out of the fridge to soak, but never made it to the milk.  It sat on the counter.  We took CB to school on time, then stopped in Walmart, something I am loathe to do.  I did get 5 deep dish pie pans for $3.95 a piece.  My first catering purchase.  While in Walmart, Cocopugs mentioned that her throat hurt, but wasn't nutty so I let it go.  I struggled out to the car with pie plates in flimsy plastic bags on one hand, Mz Bell slipping out of my other arm and Coco wandering away.  I became one of THOSE moms at Walmart:  GIT BACK HERE, YOU!.  I am ashamed of me.

On to preschool where I was pulling into the parking lot and a little boy darted right in front of me, and I mean to say *heart-stopping-lightning-fast-but-all-in-slow-motion* in front of me.  And I saw the look of sheer terror on his face when he realized what he had done, and his mama was crying and I was in shock.  But he didn't get hit by a car today, and I doubt he will run away like that again.  And my heart just now stopped racing.
I headed home to find my new iPhone was waiting at the door!  YAY!  But I didn't have time to play, and besides, I had to charge it before I could use it.  Mz Bell went down for her nap.
I went to the kitchen and realized that the beef had been sitting on the counter for an hour, so I thought I had better cook it and throw it in the crock pot.  So I tossed it with a little flour, salt and pepper and browned it, and then caramelized some onions and browned mushrooms with garlic. All into the crock pot.
I turned it on to low and went down to the basement.
I opened up the door and the smell of moldy laundry hit me hard.
I sucked it up, emptied the closet, swept and cleaned up the mess and put the dehumidifier to work.
I took the opportunity to go through some old Christmas stuff, holiday stuff, and general stuff.  I threw away a lot of junk.
Baby Belle woke up, had some milk and we went to pick up Coco, get some lunch and go home.
When we walked in the kitchen, I noticed that I had never plugged in the crock pot.  I called my reliable source for all things kitchen edible, Mom.  She said go for it.  So I turned it on high and cooked the hell out of the meat, onions and mushrooms.  
We ate lunch, and my friend Mindy called with bad news.  Her sister has been struggling with an aggressive form of T-cell Lymphoma and did not get the report she was expecting.  Cancer sucks, and we talked for a while as the girls played.  All of a sudden, Coco slapped her hands over her ears and screamed.  I called the doc and we were on our way.
Both ears infected, NO FEVER.  1 trip to meijer and home for naps.
By this time, I am wondering when it's time for a glass of wine.
Graciously, our neighbor picked CB up for school and playtime.
Phone calls, emails, texts to cancel the rest of my day.
Phone call to State Farm for refi:  3.99 30 year fixed.  INSANE!
Homework, computer & iPhone.
Boiled some egg noodles, stir in the sour cream.  Fantastic dinner.  Seriously, and no one has gotten sick yet.
Homework, piano practice, pick up.
My day is ending with Smolen Dance Party, including Beach Boys, Traveling Wilburys, and Bob Dylan.

Wake Up, Mama!
Good Night!

No comments: