Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Disappointments

Do you remember the show MAD TV? They had a little blurb called 'Lowered Expectations' (I'm singing it in my head right now)
How many of you have heard that to be happy, you must dash your expectations, lower them to avoid disappointment? It works, but then you are left with no excitement, no anticipation of something great. It is what it is. No Hope.
Here's another way. Experience disappointment. Seek it out. Feel it, get used to it, recognize it, and then find your boundaries. What remains? Contentment. You have no complaints, you have realistic expectations. Leave room for evaluation, leave room for reflection.
After that, be thankful.
To me, being content means my family and I are fed, warm, healthy, and loved. It is being free to respond to other people's behaviors with grace and respect. It forces me to see the beauty in what is really around me, the gifts of nature and love. It gives me hope for others who are searching for contentment, and allows for gracious giving.
You are now watching MAD TV. (really, I can't turn off the music in my head.)

No comments: