Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Birthday Cake

Today is my mama's birthday.  She is not 60.  Yet.  :-)  I love my mama, I still wish I could curl up on her lap and have her brush my hair, read me a story, and snuggle me close but that would be awkward because I'm bigger than her.  But she still gives me tight hugs and can pinpoint exactly what I'm feeling mostly even before I've acknowledged it myself, and I love her.
On some level, I am still her needy child, but on a better level, she is my friend.
So...
My sisters, SILs and nephews, aunt and grandma all got together today to celebrate.  We had Biaggi's for lunch, and lemon pound cake.  Those of you who know me, know that this is my cake.  I make it for my birthday, I make it for the school carnival cakewalk, I make it for friends.  I made it for weeks and weeks when I was pregnant.   I can make it with no recipe at this point.
I wish you smell the butter and sugar creaming in the mixer, the fresh lemon juice dripping on my arm,  the power of the mixer mixing the flour into the butter.  And how fluffy the batter gets when the eggs mix in.  Mmmmm....cake.
And when it's done baking, it's quickly turned out onto a cooling rack and IF it's a great day, and there is very little humidity, AND the sun and moon are aligned just right, then the cake will not stick to the pan.
(usually it comes out fine, I'm just perturbed that today it stuck)
Then you boil a little sugar with some fresh lemon juice and the grated peel and pour it all over the cake.
It is heaven on a fork.

Sorry, we ate it before I could take a picture.

2 comments:

megs @ whadusay said...

I love your mamma too. Holly, if you read this: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Holly said...

I just read this! (As usual, I'm lagging behind :) Thank you both! And Janie, I'm so glad I get to be your mom! You are such a blessing to me :) and I love you so, so much.